Underground Jam

Last Sunday I scored. In the smallest of antique stores; hardly bigger than my kitchen. I mean small. In this tiny store, with one pathway leaning from the front door to the back, which opened onto an expansive green field, there was half a case of wild blackberry jam on a faded red stool. Nicasio wild blackberry jam was printed in block letters on crooked sticky labels.

"She picks the berries down the road," the owners' friend said. She waved out toward the field. I didn't see blackberry bushes but I grabbed two jars; hugged them to me. It felt almost illegal. It probably was illegal, buying jam from some one's Grandma.

But really, I can't think of a better way to purchase a jar of jam. Berries down the road is the way jam is meant to be.

7 comments:

Chile said...

Mmmm, what a score!

Theresa said...

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

How fun, Nicasio Grandma Berry Jam! Was the antique store in Nicasio? I think I've been to that one, so tiny! But I got some great things there.

Kale for Sale said...

Chile - Thanks for the visit! Yes, a complete score.

Theresa - I'm enjoying the anticipation, imaging a hot plate of pancakes. And wild blackberry jam. And enjoying seeing your peace sign icon here. Thank you.

a sonoma garden - Yes. That's exactly the store. I don't usually go to antique stores but that tiny building is irresistible. I had to see what was inside. And she had very cool things. I wanted an old etched glass cake pedestal but I had to be realistic, I don't make cakes. And I got the jam. I'm not complaining.

One more Nicasio thing for you. There's a new cheese factory there with organic Lafranchi Dairy cheese. We ate our haul in two days. Delicious.

Kelly said...

LOL @ "dont make cakes" my wild picked blackberries always get picked for great visions but never get past the eaten straight stage...one day

Anonymous said...

Yes. Berries down the road is the way jam was meant to be. That, my friend is a beautiful quote.

Jenn said...

yum!