Strawberries and Cream

It was so simple I feel silly really, writing about it. But I can't get it out of my mind. Strawberries bought from the farm in Santa Cruz. Organic strawberries. From the girl that always has me smiling. Her mother helps on Sunday mornings. Sometimes. Selling strawberries, artichokes, blackberry jam. How I love the blackberry jam. Swanton Berry Farm it's called.

That's how it started; this simple idea from a friend. I bought the strawberries. Carried them to the birthday celebration, whole, in our big red bowl. Each berry flower-side-up and a layer on top, upside down for pinching. We voted to slice them. A quiet moment in the kitchen. Slicing, tasting. Mouths silently watering.

And then I poured on the cream. Thick, pearl white cream.

Saved the empty jar for little girl nosegays. Returned the strawberry baskets to the farmer.

Strawberries and cream.

Not a thing wasted. So simple I feel silly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh simplicity. Two ingredients. You know exactly what they are and where they came from. That is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This was so perfect to read today, of all days. With the warm weather we're having here in New Hampshire, the strawberries were calling to me in the grocery store today. The problem is, local strawberries won't be in season here for another month, and they're so worth waiting for! (I didn't cave in...) I'll hold this image in my mind for the next few weeks. Thanks!

MAYBELLINE said...

Have you tried growing your own berries? Delicious.

Kale for Sale said...

agrigirl - Simple and decadent at the same time. I want to keep cream in the house all summer.

Anon - I'm glad I could build the anticipation.

Maybelline - I haven't but I've planted my dream garden repeatedly and there are always enough strawberries. Someday. Lucky you.